Craigrothie CER S NO377107 1 362 100m

Cragro<th>ihill 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [y for þ; one of the lands belonging to the Church of St Andrews]
Craigrothy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Craigrothie 1684 Adair/East Fife
Craigrothie 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Craigrothy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Craigrothie 1828 SGF
Craigrothie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G creag + G ràth + ? – in

‘(Place of the) rock of the fort’. It is not clear what feature or structure gave rise to this name, but it may be assumed that it was somewhere near the historical core of the settlement, which lies on the old road running down to the ford and footbridge at NO381112. The above NGR is supplied by a roughly central point in the modern village of Craigrothie to the south-west, which has developed along the new road built in the 1790s (see Deacon 2001, 26–8).


This place-name appeared in printed volume 2