Arnydy 1448 NLS MS Adv. 15.1.18 no. 102 [instrument of submission to arbitration by prior of St Andrews and John Kinninmonth of that ilk anent the boundaries of Greigston (Gregston’) CMN, Baldinnie (Baldunny) CER, SSL, and Arnydie (Arnydy) CER, SSL]
Arnydy SAUL SL 110 .C1 [see Greigston CMN]
Arnydy 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [one of the lands of the Church of St Andrews, listed between Baldinnie (Baldunny) CER, SSL and Claremont (Claremounthe) SSL]
Arnydie 1589 RMS v no. 1909
Arnydy 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [to ‘duke of Lennox’, among former St Andrews lands]
Arnedye 1613 APS iv p. 682
Arnedie 1613 APS iv p. 682
Arnydie 1619 APS iv p. 682
(pendicle) Arnydye 1620 RMS vii no. 2111 [a pendicle of Baldinnie (Baldunye) CER, SSL called Arnydie]
Ardnydie 1621 APS iv p. 682
Arnydie 1625 RMS viii no. 810 [Arnydie with its bog (maresia)]
Arnydie 1633 APS v p. 109
Arnydie 1642 RMS ix no. 1063 [Arnydie ... and the moss (mossa) of Arnydie]
Arnydie 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [to the Hopes of Craighall i.a. Arnydie with the moss (mossa) of Arnydie]
Needy Hill 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Neidy Hill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Arnydiehill 1780 Sasines no. 3088 [John Morton (or Marton?) ‘feuar of Blackfaulds and Nydiehill or Arnydiehill, Ceres parish’]
Nydiehill 1780 Sasines no. 3088 [see previous]
Arnydiehill 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
? G àird + ?
The first element is probably G àird ‘height’, found also in Airdit LEU (PNF 4) and Kinnaird KMB (below). The consistent early spelling without d can be explained by the common assimilation of d to following n. The second element may be the tribal or territorial name *Nith + loc. ending (for which see Newburn, below); or it may derive from the first element of *Nevethy-endereth SSL (PNF 3). See under that name for a fuller discussion of both these possibilities.
Arnydie was transferred from SSL to CER in 1621 (see CER Introduction). It is now called Bankhead, appearing as such on a map of 1828 (SGF).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2