Devon Common ~
the commoun of Dyffyn 1593 RMS v no. 2339 [the right to ‘cast and wyn fewall, faill and dovat in the commoun of Dyffyn and Hedrigbank and uthir pairtis within the boundis of Kennoquhy’]
Commone of Dovene 1594 RMS vi no. 117 [‘to the common of Kennoway wrongly called Common of Devon’ (ad communiam de Kennoquhy abusive nuncupat. Commone of Dovene)]
Cottoun of Diney 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [error for Common? Diney is for Diuey, which is how he represents Devon KTT]
Dovan Common early 19 th c. RHP23512 [farm marching with Devon (Dovan) KTT and Milldeans (Milndeans) KTT]
Dovon Common 1828 SGF
Devon Common 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [stretch of land in both KTT and KWY]
en Devon + Sc common
See Devon KTT. OS 6 inch (1856) has Devon Common as the name both of a farm in KTT (at the above NGR) and of an expanse of land straddling the KTT/KWY boundary, centred around NO34 05. OS Pathf. has Devon Common twice, once in KTT for the farm, and again in KWY at NO345050. The second of these seems to refer to a somewhat diminished area of land, the eastern part of the larger area shown under that name on the 1856 map. The extension of Devon Common into KWY is clear from the entries for 1593 and 1594 above, though the 1594 entry disapproves of this name being applied to the part in KWY.
OS Name Book (16, 33) states: ‘This name applies to a large district of land which was formerly a common, but has long been inclosed.’ The farmhouse called Devon Common was that part of the common land which was allotted to the earl of Glasgow when the common lands were divided up among the heritors (loc. cit.).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2