Kinning Hill 1768 RHP23533
Cuinin Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc cuning + Sc hill
‘Rabbit hill’. This hill straddles the parish boundary of KWY/MAI, but its summit is shown on OS Maps slightly to the east (KWY) side of the parish boundary. The OS Name Book accounted for its name in the 1850s ‘from the innumerable number of rabbits that harbour therein’ (92, 34). It also recorded that one witness, Mr Ballingall, called it Cony Hill.
Locally it is used with the definite article, ‘the Cuinen Hill’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2