Gartarry TUL S NS935909 1 383 45m SWF
Gartrarie 1619 RMS vii no. 2017 [part of the barony of Tulliallan (Tullialloun)]
Garterie 1681 NLS: Adv.MS.70.2.11 (Adair 5)
Gartarry 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Gartarry 1895 Millar ii, 268 [part of the estate of Airthrey, belonging to Lord Balfour of Burleigh]
G gart + G àirigh
‘Enclosure or enclosed settlement of the shieling or cattle station’. The element gart ‘enclosed field, enclosed settlement’ does not occur in any place-names within the medieval bounds of Fife. Gartarry lies at the eastern end of a dense swathe of such names stretching into Lanarkshire as far as the Clyde, as well as into Dunbartonshire as far as the Leven.
OS Pathf. also has Gartarry Wood to the north of Gartarry.
/garˈtarɪ/ or /garˈterɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1