Myrie Hall SLN S NT046917 1 384 190m SOF
Miryhall 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Miryhall 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Mireyhall 1828 SGF
Miry Hall 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc mirie + Sc hall
Myrie Hall is beside mirie or marshy ground (still shown as such on OS Pathf.) which stretches for over 1 km to the east and for several hundred metres to the south and to the north-east. This low-lying ground corresponds to what Blaeu (Gordon) Fife calls Dowly Moss in 1654 (named from Dolly DFL), and is probably what is referred to in the Dunf. Reg. charter no. 333 as the myre (marisium) of Bandrum (see SLN Introduction).
The second element would appear to be Sc hall ‘high-status dwelling, hall’; if so, it is probably being used ironically. Alternatively the second element was originally Sc haugh ‘low lying ground beside water’, which is sometimes hypercorrected to hall.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1