Killernie SLN S NT031927 1 384 180m SWF
Kynerny c.1335 Dunf. Reg. no. 333 [see SLN Introduction]
Kinnerny 1544 Dunf. Reg. no. 556 [feued to Robert Dury of that ilk]
Kynnerny 1544 Dunf. Reg. no. 556
Kynnernie 1627 Retours (Fife) no. 395 [Andreas Wardlaw, lands of Kynnernie with its pendicle called Steelend (Steilend)]
Killerny 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Killernie 1669 Retours (Fife) no. 1051 [James Stewart, lands of Killernie and Bandrum with the pendicle called Steelend (Stealend)]
Killearnie 1682 Retours (Fife) no. 1211 [lands of Killernie and Bandrum, with the pendicle called Steelend]
Killairney 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Killairny 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Killairny House in Ruins’ = Killernie Castle]
Kilerny 1828 SGF
Killernie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G ceann + G feàrna or àirne + ? – in or + – ach
‘End of the place of alders or sloes’; fe?rna ‘alder’ (OIr fern) or ?irne (OIr arni) ‘sloe, black-thorn’. Fe?rna is found in Fernie MML (PNF 4), and probably also in the related Collairnie DBG (PNF 4), but there are no certain instances of ?irne in Fife place-names. The ending is either the common locational suffix –in ‘place of’ or from *fe?rnach ‘place of alders’ or ‘place abounding in alders’ etc.
The NGR given is for the farm called Killernie. However, the original site is probably nearer Killernie Castle (NT033924), which stands above the steep banks of the Saline Burn, an ideal habitat for alders. A castle existed here already in the early fourteenth century, as it is referred to in the Castle Stead (le Castilsted) and the Castle Stank (le Castilstank’) in the perambulation recorded in Dunf. Reg. no. 333. See SLN Introduction for more details.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1