Drumcapie SLN R NT017925 1 384 128m
dominium terre de Drumkyppy 1312 x 1329 Dunf. Reg. no. 358 [Thomas Randolph; lordship of the land of Drumcapie]
Drumkeppie 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 430
Drumcapie 1594 RMS vi no. 75 col. 2 [amongst the lands of Dunfermline Abbey are Bandrum (Band<r>one), Drumcapie (Drumcapie) and Craig House (Craighous), with mill, all SLN]
Drumkapie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Drumcapie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G druim + G ceap + ? – in or + – ach
‘Lumpy ridge’ or ‘place of the ridge-lump’. G druim ‘back, ridge’ was also borrowed into Sc (as drum), and it appears in the nearby Sc place-name Drum Heads # SLN (NT020928), which is found at the northern end of the Drumcapie ridge (1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.). Further west on the same ridge, at NT003923, OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856) shows the oddly named Bandscotsdrum (Band Scots Drum 1828 SGF).
G ceap ‘block’ often refers to a small lumpy hill on the top of elevated ground, and has been borrowed into Sc as kip, defined as ‘a jutting or projecting point on a hill, a peak’ (CSD). The eponymous ceap of Drumcapie is the ‘small oval shaped rise’, to which, according to the OS Name Book (3, 1), the name Drumcapie now refers. The name clearly referred to an important settlement in the medieval and early modern period, and so its development has been practically circular, returning to the physical feature from which the settlement was named.
The final element is the locational suffix –in or the adjectival suffix –ach.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1