Quichtis 1204 x 1213 Dunf. Reg. no. 144 [teinds of Quichtis belonging to Crombie]
Quichtes 1227 Dunf. Reg. no. 213 [thrice]
terram de Quyltys 1318 RRS v no. 141 [15th c. copy of an inspection by Robert I of an inspection by Alexander II of a charter by Malcolm earl of Fife to Culross abbey; see note RRS v p. 419]
Quyltis 1562 Assumption 290 [Robert Colvile of Cleish (Cleische)]
Quylt Myln 1562 Assumption 290 [George Mylne pays £3 6s. 8d. and 8 poultry]
Cultis 1589 RMS v no. 1675 [see SLN Introduction]
(barony of) Quiltis 1592 RMS v no. 2152 [including ‘lie Bowgangis de Quiltis’]
Vester Quiltis 1599 RMS vi no. 922 [to Robert Bennet the lands of Wester Cult (Vester Quiltis) called the Busses (lie Busses), in the barony of Cult, vic. Fife, which once belonged to the abbey of Culross]
baronia de Quiltis 1599 RMS vi no. 922 [see previous entry]
lie Eister Quiltis 1603 RMS vi no. 1486 [to Hamilton of Blair ... the lands of Blair with fortalice etc., the lands of Patispollis (? *Pattis-Poffills CUS) the Easter Cult (lie Eister Quiltis) called the Wedderhill (vocat. the Wedderhill) SLN]
terris de Quyltis 1621 Retours (Fife) no. 928 [lands of Cult, viz. Pow, Halcroft, MeadowZaird, Zowstock, Halburnes, with their two pendicles called Reyes Croft and Lowden Croft]
Colton 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [also on Gordon MS Fife, probably an error for Cultmill; see SLN Introduction]
Waster Quylts 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 973 [John Bennet of Busses (Busses) in the lands of Waster Quylts commonly called Busses in the barony of Quylts]
baronia de Quylts 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 973
Cults 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
South Cults 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Northcults 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Southcults 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Nth. Cult 1828 SGF
Sth. Cult 1828 SGF
North Cult 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
South Cult 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G cùilt + G –es or – is
‘Corner or recess place’. For the element cùilt see Watson 1926, 140. The early forms probably show a locational suffix –es or –is, in the sense of a place in or at a corner or recess. It may be compared with Cults CLT. However, the earliest forms Quichtis or Quichtes 1204 × 1227 (Dunf. Reg. nos. 144, 213) suggest that it is from a different word, but had become assimilated to the more frequently occurring Cult(s) etc. by the fourteenth century.
The NGR given here is for the larger steading of OS Pathf. South Cult. OS Pathf. also shows Cult Hill, North Cult, South Cult and Cultmill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1