(John Melville of Raith lord of) Turbane 1537 Dunf. Reg. no. 530
(half of lands of) Torbane 1537 Dunf. Reg. no. 530 [lying in regality of Dunfermline]
(half of lands of) Turbane 1548 Dunf. Reg. no. 567
Turbane 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 441 [both Torbain and Pitconmark KDT (bayth Turbane and Pitconmerk) paying together 20 bolls of bere as part of the teind bere in Kirkcaldy]
Turbane 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 441 [both Pitconmark and Torbain (bayth Pitconmerk and Turbane) paying together 4 chalders, 14 bolls of oats as part of the teind oats of Kirkcaldy]
Torbane 1594 RMS vi no. 75 col. 3 [Pitconmark and Torbane with mills]
Corbean 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Torbeinn 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Torbane 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Meickle Torbane 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Torbane 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Torbain Tower 1828 SGF
G tòrr + G bàn
‘White hill’. Early sixteenth-century charters from Dunf. Reg. show that the lands of Torbain belonged to Dunfermline Abbey, although at that time they were in the process of being acquired by the Melvilles of Raith and the Beatons. Torbain is now also the name of the housing estate in north-west Kirkcaldy on the lands of Bogie KDT (q.v.).
The above NGR is of OS Pathf. Torbain Farm.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1