Templehall 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Templehall 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Templehall 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Templehall 1897 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.
SSE temple + SSE hall
Sc temple in place-names outwith the G?idhealtachd usually indicates a connection with the Knights Templars, whose lands were later held by the Knights of St John (Hospitallers). However, neither of these pre-Reformation religious bodies appears to have held land in KDT. In the absence of forms earlier than the eighteenth century, we are therefore probably dealing with a SSE place-name, referring perhaps to a temple-like structure, either recently built, or to something prehistoric (but NMRS record nothing prehistoric in the vicinity).
Templehall land was feued by the town of Kirkcaldy in 1727 to raise money for harbour repairs (Campbell 1924, 56). The NGR above is for the church at the centre of the housing estate of Templehall. OS 6 inch (1856), however, shows Templehall as a farm at NT271935, to the east of the housing estate.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1