Hayfield 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Hayfield 1787 Sasines no. 1614 [‘Hungerhimout called Hayfield’]
Hayfield 1828 SGF
Hayfield 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [a farm c.1.5 km inland and north from the town]
pn Hay + SSE field
‘Originally known as Hungerfield, it was used as common grazing for cattle. It was owned by Dr Robert Hay, provost of Kirkcaldy in 1738, from whom it takes its later name’ (Kirkcaldy Civic Society 1975, 64). The Sasine of 1787 shows that it was also known as Hungerhimout, an equally grim name belonging to the category of Sc place-names, often semi-humorous, consisting of a verbal phrase, very few of which have survived on the modern map. Hungerhimout was also the name of a small settlement in KTT (PNF 2).
The above NGR is taken from OS 6 inch (1856). Hayfield is now the name of a residential area within Kirkcaldy, the site of the farm of Hayfield being occupied by the church at Poplar Gardens.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1