(land of) Duniker 1206 x 1213 Dunf. Reg. no. 155 [latest date determined by retiral of Adam abbot of Newbattle]
(land of) Duniker 1206 x 1213 Dunf. Reg. no. 156
(land of) Duniker 1206 x 1213 Dunf. Reg. no. 157
(lands of) Dunykeir 1563 RMS iv no. 1477 [‘... terras de Dunykeir, Smyddylandis, molendinum orientale de Kirkcaldy (‘the east mill of Kirkcaldy’) in parochia de Kirkcaldy’ (rentals given)]
Dunyker 1556 x 1585 RMS v no. 843 [thirled to West Mill of Kirkcaldy; see KDT, KXY Introduction for more details]
(lands of) Denekery vel Denekeir 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 129 [within the barony of Kirkcaldie]
Dunnekeir 1631 RMS viii no. 1795 [Dunnekeir then called Petheheid]
Dunnikeer 1790s OSA, 564 [Mr Oswald of Dunnikeer]
Dunikeer 1790s OSA, 327 [‘Pathhead ... is divided into Pathhead Proper, or Dunikeer, situated on Dunikeer estate, and Sinclairton ...’]
Dunnikier House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G dùn + G an + G * cair
‘Fort or fortified hill (dùn) of the *cair’. The original site of Dunnikier was on the high ground overlooking Kirkcaldy harbour, at or near which the eponymous *cair of Kirkcaldy lay. The above NGR is of this site.
The Oswald family took the name of Dunnikier with them when they flitted in the eighteenth century, finally ending up at the present Dunnikier House to the north of the town (NT278943), c.2 km away from the original site. The area where the original Dunnikier lay is now called Pathhead, a name which was coming into use in the seventeenth century (see above).
OS Pathf. also has Dunnikier Park, while to the east the small settlement OS Pathf. Pathhead Muir is shown as Dunnikier Muir on OS 1 inch 2nd edn. (1899) (NT285943). OS Pathf. Dunnikier House is marked on Ainslie/Fife as Moorhouses.
While in the period immediately prior to the amalgamation of KXY and DSX in 1901 the original Dunnikier lay in DSX, in 1563 it is specifically mentioned as being in KXY (RMS iv no. 1477). Its location in KXY makes sense in the light of the fact that the land of Dunnikier was held by Dunfermline Abbey in the twelfth century, and would have therefore formed part of Kirkcaldyshire.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1