? (John Martyn laird of) Brigland 1384 Scottish Handwriting, no 8 [o.c.]
Brigland 1529 RMS iii no. 760 col. 2 [Brigland vocat. villam Sancte Katherine cum capella et donatione capellanie ejusdem, et edificiis juxta eandem (Brigland called the vill or toun of St Catherine with its chapel and the gift of its chaplainry, and with the buildings beside the same (chapel))]
Brigland 1548 RMS iv no. 200 [Brigland vocat. villa S. Kathrene (Brigland called the vill or toun of St Catherine)]
Briglandis 1610 RMS vii no. 257 [Included in a list (in Latin) of property attached to the lands of Invertiel KGH are ‘lie brigis, Briglandis’ (the bridges, bridge-lands or Briglands). See Invertiel KGH for more details]
terras de Briglands 1611 RMS vii no. 567 [amongst the property attached to the lands of Invertiel KGH are the bridge and lands of Briglands called the vill of St Catherine (lie brig et terras de Briglands vocat. villam S. Katherine)]
terras de Briglandis 1635 RMS ix no. 289 [as in RMS vii no. 567]
Bridgtowne 1642 Gordon MS Fife
W. Bridg 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Brigtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Brigland 1668 RMS xi no. 1174
Bridgetown 1828 SGF
Bridgetown 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc brig + Sc land and Sc toun
‘Bridge-land(s) and bridge-settlement’. The former refers to lands beside or near a bridge, which perhaps also contribute to the bridge’s upkeep. The change of the second element to Sc toun ‘farm, settlement’, is late, first appearing on Gordon MS Fife (1642). The SSE form of the name also appears for the first time on that map, which interestingly is in Sc on the Blaeu printed version (1654).
The bridge in question carried the main coast road south from Kirkcaldy over the Tiel Burn. The bridge-lands lay on the south bank. They formed part of the barony of Invertiel KGH, created in 1529 in favour of William Scott of Balwearie. The alternative name of Briglands, later Bridgetown, was the toun of St Catherine’s or *St Catherinestoun. This name came from the chapel of St Catherine at the bridge, the advowson of which went with the ownership of the lands (RMS iii no. 760). This alternative name seems to appear in Latin only (i.e. villa Sancte Katherine), and it must therefore be questioned whether it was ever in common usage.
For more discussion of this name, see Invertiel KGH. It was part of KGH until 1901, when it was incorporated into KDT (KDT Introduction).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1