Bennoqhy 1537 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 149 [Peter Crichton for the lands of Beg, Bennoquhy, Smeton and Bawsusny’]
Bennoquhy 1538 Dunf. Ct. Bk. 149
Bennochquhy 1556 x 1585 RMS v no. 843 [part of the barony of Kirkcaldy; see KDT, KXY Introduction for more details]
Bannachie 1594 RMS vi no. 75 col. 3
Bennoquhay 1634 RMS ix no. 164
Bennachy, 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Bennachy 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Bennochy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Bennochy, 1828 SGF
Bennochy House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G beannachd + ? - in
‘Place of blessing’, in the sense ‘place blessed by a saint’, no doubt indicating a piece of land belonging to the church of the saint in question. Watson states that in the Irish lives of the saints it is often the name of the place where the saint founds a church (1926, 263). However, neither Bennochy nor Bannaty SLO, which shares the same derivation, has any recorded church connections.
The saint in this case may be St Serf, west Fife’s most important saint, with links to Dysart and Burntisland (Kinghorn Wester), and perhaps also to Dunfermline and Kinghorn (Easter) (see KDT (DSX), BUI and DFL Introductions for more details).
The NGR is from OS 6 inch (1856), Bennochy House. The name survives in Bennochy Road, on OS Pathf. NT26 92.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1