White Hill KGL R NT229997 1 385 180m
White Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc white + Sc hill
On the south-east flank of this hill is the farm of Finmont, a G name meaning ‘white hill’. This may be a rare example of a Fife name translated from G into Sc. However, it may be that the names were coined independently of each other, both describing a hill either with good grazing, or with close associations with dairy production (see white and fionn in PNF 5, Elements Glossary).
On OS Explorer (2001) the name (spelled Whitehill) is applied also to an industrial estate c.2 km to the east.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1