Kinmochtie # KGL S NO2400 3
Kynmuchin 1179 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 2
Kynmoky 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51
Kinmochtie 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 443 [teind beir of Kinglassie, including Kinmochtie and Gaitmilk]
? G ceann + G muc + - in
‘End of the pig place’? The Dunf. Reg. entry of 1561 makes it clear that this place, no longer identifiable, lay in KGL (p. 443). However, Kynmuchin by its right marches (per suas rectas divisas) is listed amongst the lands of Inchcolm in the papal confirmation charter of 1179. In the list it is preceded by the chapel of Beath BEA with its pertinents, and is followed by the two Cockairnies DGY (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 2). It is listed again (as Kynmoky) amongst the lands of the priory in the royal confirmation charter of 1441. In this list, which generally groups together places in geographical proximity, it is preceded by Barnhill DGY and followed by Porthaven ABO (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51). Were it not for the 1561 reference to Kinmochtie in KGL, the Inchcolm evidence would indicate that it was somewhere in the Aberdour or Dalgety area.
If all three early forms do in fact refer to the same place (and there must remain some doubt as to whether they do), then one way of reconciling the above evidence is to propose that when it was held by Inchcolm it lay in LSL, since the bishops of Dunkeld, who were major benefactors of the priory, held land in that parish, which was also a detached parish of Dunkeld diocese. If this was the case, however, then Kinmochtie # would be the only land in LSL belonging to Inchcolm mentioned in the 1179 papal confirmation charter.
Relevant to this discussion may be the place-name Muckersey # LSL. Although no forms earlier than 1575 have been identified (Mukcarsie RMS iv no. 2405), I suggest s.n. (PNF 3) that it shares the same derivation as Muckersie PER (Mucrosin 1183 St A. Lib. 59), containing G muc ‘pig’ and ros ‘promontory’. If this is even half correct, then there may be not simply a linguistic link between Kinmochtie # and Muckersey #, but also a geographical one. An estate map of 1775 (RHP19) marks the lands of Muckersey # on both sides of the River Leven, and therefore in both KGL (south of Leven) and LSL (north of Leven). At the very least this shows that a place-name could be applied to land on both sides of the river, explaining how Kinmochtie # could be associated with both Dunfermline and Inchcolm Abbeys.
This name compares with Kinmuck, Keithhall and Kinkell parish ABD (for which see Lind. Cart. no. 126); also with Kilmux KWY (PNF 2).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1