Templehall ABO S NT203884 1 395 145m SEF
the temple of Balmwle 1540 Knights of St John, 26 [pertaining to the laird of Orrock (errok) BUI]
Tempillall 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 219
Templehall 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Temple Hall 1828 SGF
Sc temple + Sc hall
‘Hall or big house belonging to the Templars’. The name alone indicates that the land was at one time held by the Knights Templar. This is corroborated by the rental of the Knights of St John 1539–40, ‘Item the temple of Balmwle pertening to the lard of Errock (laird of Orrock BUI)’ Knights of St John 26. OS Pathf. and OS Explorer also show Templehall Cottages at a site better known as Puddledub, marked as such on OS 6 inch (1856) and OS 2.5 inch (1956).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1