Cluny KGL S NT245955 1 385 65m SOF
(land of) Clony 1316 Dunf. Reg. no. 348 [held by the earls of Fife of the abbot of Dunfermline at least since the time of Earl Malcolm II (died 1266)]
Cluny 1316 Dunf. Reg. no. 349
tenendie nostre de Clunyis no. 424 (p. 308) [see Ardeny # KGL above]
(lordship of) Cluny 1465 McNeill Houston 1924, 77 [o.c.; territory of *Hatton of Cluny (Haltoun de Cluny) in lordship of Cluny; from Rothes muniments]
(barony of) Cluny 1476 RMS ii no. 1213
Cluny 1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 497 [Cluny and Clunijs lying within Gatmilkschire]
Clunijs 1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 497 [Cluny and Clunijs lying within Gatmilkschire]
Clwny 1535 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 125
(lands of) Cluny 1561 RMS iv no. 2339 [in barony of Gatmylkschire]
(lands of) Cluny 1632 RMS viii no. 1945 [to David Crichton junior of Lugtoun, lands of Cluny incorporated into free barony of Lugtoun-Crichtoun in Fife, ordaining that mansion and manor-place of Cluny, now called Lugtoun-Crichtoun, be the principal messuage]
Lugton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Lugtonmill 1642 Gordon MS Fife [appears simply as Mill on Blaeu (Gordon) Fife]
Lugtoun Creichtoun alias Cluni 1647 RMS xi no. 494 [printed Lugtoun, Creichtoun]
Clunie 1651 RMS xi no. 81 [lands and barony of Lugtoune Creichtoun, Fife, comprehending lands of Clunie now called Lugtoun Creichtoune etc.]
Cluny 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Lugtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Clunie 1654 RMS xi no. 180 [toun of Lugtoun comprehending lands of Clunie now called Lugtoun Creightoun, lands of Haltoun of Lugtoun etc.]
Cluny 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Clunymills 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Clunie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
G claon + G – in
‘Place at the slope, or (steep) path descending to or ascending from a ford or bridge’ (see Barrow 1984, 62). The ford, later bridge, is over the River Ore at OS Pathf. Cluny Br<idge>.
Lugton is immediately north of Dalkeith MLO, and when the Crichtons of Lugton acquired the lands of Cluny in the seventeenth century they attempted to change the name to Lugton or Lugton-Crichton. This attempt at name-change failed, despite the fact that Lugton appears for Cluny on Gordon’s map of Fife (MS 1642), printed by Blaeu in 1654, and the name Cluny had re-asserted itself by the eighteenth century, if not before.
Gordon MS Fife shows Lugtonmill on the Ore west of Lugton; it is marked simply as Mill on Blaeu (Gordon) Fife (1654), but as Cluniemill on Ainslie (1775).
The lands of Cluny were subdivided into the farms of Dogton, Fosterton, *Halton, *Milton and Muirton.
Gilbert locates a royal forest at Cluny KGL (1979, 339, 360), but his ER references (e.g. i, 19) are clearly to Clunie PER. There was, however, a royal forest nearby in the twelfth century, for details of which see Fosterton KGL.
The NGR given is of the present cluster of buildings at OS Pathf. Cluny, which is shown about 1 km south of the present course of the River Ore. Blaeu (Pont) West Fife (1654), Ainslie/Fife (1775) and SGF (1828) all place Cluny on the north bank of the river at NT243964), suggesting that this was the original centre of the estate, at OS Pathf. Cluny Mains. As late as SGF (1828) no settlement at all is shown on the site of OS Pathf. Cluny KGL, but a small settlement is shown here on OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856) called Greenhead. On OS Pathf. are also Cluny Bridge, Cluny Farm, Cluny Clays (named from a clay pigeon shooting range there), Cluny Den, Cluny Square and Cluny Muir.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1