Kinuny KGH S NT228907 2
Killdeny 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Kenreny 1757 RHP1710 [on the lands of Wester Boglilly; described as ‘a high brae’; the same plan shows Kenreny Land immediately to the south]
Kinuny Quarry 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
The name, which looks as though it is of G origin, comes too late in the record, and in too many varying forms, for any sensible etymology to be offered.
The name appears on OS Pathf. in Kinuny Quarry (by Baidlin Toll), and on OS Explorer at the same site in Kinuny Plantation, whence the approximate NGR. It may be that Kinuny was known as West Boglillie (see Boglilly above) in the early nineteenth century, as this is the name given by SGF (1828) to a farm at or near this NGR.
It is probably pure coincidence that Roy’s form (1753) looks remarkably like Keldeney, the name of a feature near Harlaw WMS mentioned only once in a charter of c.1290, for which see WMS Introduction.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1