Kyllori 1179 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 2 [15th c. copy; one of the lands granted confirmed to Inchcolm Priory by Pope Alexander III]
(tenants of) Kilory 1419 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 42 [o.c.]
(vill of) Kilory 1419 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 42 [o.c.]
Kyllory 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51 [o.c.]
Kyllory 1441 RMS ii no. 268
Killerie 1544 RMS iii no. 2999
Killery 1544 RMS iii no. 2999
Kellerie 1573 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 221
Killore 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218
Killorie 1577 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 216
Killerie 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 226
Killery 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 228
Kyllerey 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Kildrie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Kilrie 1828 SGF [also Kilrie Mill and Kilrie Gate]
Kilrie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [= OS Pathf. Kilrie]
Kilrie Mill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [= OS Pathf. Kilrie Farm]
Kilrey 1872 Sasines no. 1544
? G caol + ? G oir + ? - in
? ‘Place at the narrow border or edge; narrow border place’. G oir (OIr or), ‘edge, border’ is probably also found in Orrock BUI.
The interpretation of the first element as an adjective is based partly on the modern pronunciation of the place-name, with syllable-initial stress, as well as the reduction and later loss of the first syllable of the second element, difficult to explain unless the syllable was unstressed. The name may refer to the fact that Kilrie lay at the north-east limit of Inchcolm’s west Fife lands. As a detached part of ABO (see KGH Introduction above) Kilrie is in fact also on the very edge of the cluster of Dunkeld parishes in this corner of south-west Fife.
Whatever the border referred to in the name, the lands of Kilrie themselves constitute a long, narrow strip of territory, well described by the adjective caol ‘narrow’. At the centre of this well-defined strip of land aerial photography has revealed a promontory fort defended by at least two banks and ditches. It occupied the west end of the ridge above Druimmuilionn, at NO240894, and it may constitute the original centre of the unit which later developed into the estate of Kilrie. Both Kilrie (house) and Kilrie Mill lay outside the detached part of ABO as defined by various early maps including OS 6 inch 1st edn. This may be further evidence that the centre of the medieval lands of Kilrie has shifted from a more central to a more peripheral position.
The tentative etymology proposed in Inchcolm Chrs. p. 251 (from G caol ruighe ‘narrow slope’) has to be rejected on the basis of the early forms.
The name also appears on OS Pathf. in Kilrie Farm, Kilrie Gate, Kilrie Cottages. OS Pathf. Kilrie Farm is marked as Kilrie Mill (corn) on OS 6 inch 1st edn. 1856, along with dam, sluice and mill lead. For the suggestion that this may have been earlier Paskar Mill, see under Paskar # KGH, ABO below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1