Seaside ABO S NT192850 1 5m
(lands of) Seysyde 1559 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 213
Sesyd 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 219
Seysyid 1577 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 216
Sea syde 1601 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 225
Seasyde 1652 RMS xi no. 30
Seyside 1693 Retours (Fife) no. 1599
Seasyde 1698 Retours (Fife) no. 1419 [lands of Bucklyvie (Balclevy), Cuttlehill and Seasyde]
Seaside 1872 Sasines no. 1544 [lands of Cuttlehill and Seaside]
Sc sea + Sc side
‘(Land) beside the sea’. The lands of Seaside, which belonged to Inchcolm Abbey, are usually mentioned in conjunction with the adjacent lands of Cuttlehill. Both will have formed part of the late twelfth-century gift to Inchcolm of half a carucate (about 110 acres) of land in Aberdour, which is confirmed by papal bull in 1182 (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 6). The name exists today only in the Aberdour street-name Seaside Place.
The editors of Inchcolm Chrs. confuse Seaside ABO and *Seaset DGY. These are in fact two quite separate pieces of land, containing different second elements: set in *Seaset DGY refers to a piece of land which has been set in feu to another party. *Seaset DGY is first mentioned in 1420 (as Seyset) as the name of a bovate or oxgang of land in Fordell DGY lying next to the sea, and given to Inchcolm in the early thirteenth century (see Inchcolm Chrs. no. 12 and note p. 117). It is mentioned again in 1441 as Seyset (ibid. no. 51 and the erroneous note p. 181), and thereafter disappears from the record.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1