Newton * ABO S NT191856 2
Eglesmartyn sive Neuton 1420 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 150 [Inch Marton or Newton]
Newtoun 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51
Newtoun de Abbirdour 1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 496 [4 merks from the lands of Newton of Aberdour]
Newtoun Inchmartene 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 227
the brewlandis of Newtoun 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 227
Newtoune 1636 RMS x no. 166 [‘as the march steanes are set and infixed betwixt the said lands of Whithill and the land of Newtoune to the Paddockfuird’]
the Newtouneburne 1636 RMS x no. 166 [presumably the Dour Burn]
Newtoune 1636 RMS x no. 166 [the lands formerly called <brewlands> of Newtoune and now called <H>ilsyd (RMS mistakenly has Kilsyd twice)]
lie Brewery de Newtoun 1693 Retours (Fife) no. 1599 [terris de Hilside olim vocatis bruerio lie Brewery de Newtoun (the lands of Hillside formerly called the brewery ‘The brewery of Newton’)]
lie Browlands de Newtoun 1693 Retours (Fife) no. 1599 [the Brewlands of Newton]
Newtown 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Newtown 1872 Sasines no. 1544 [‘lands of Newtown with the Kiln, Malt Barn and Brewlands thereof’]
‘New farm or settlement’. A later name for Inch Marton, its brewlands were known as Hillside q.v. by the seventeenth century.
The name Newton with reference to this site has long been obsolete. In the nineteenth century Newton or New Town referred to the early nineteenth-century housing development on the lands of Seaside between the Black Sands and what is now the Play Park. OS 2nd edn. (1898) refers to this as New Town. However, this name, too, is now obsolete.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1