Knockhouse DFL S NT071869 1 70m
(for the lands of) Knokis 1531 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 41
Knokas 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Knokas 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 436
Knokis 1580 RMS v no. 73 [Primrois and Knokis]
Knokkes 1587 Pitfirrane Writs no. 303
Knokhous 1606 Pitfirrane Writs no. 437
Knokes 1636 Pitfirrane Writs no. 553 [lands of Knokes, Keystock (Kistock) and Pitconnochie]
Knockhous 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Knocushill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Knockushill 1827 Ainslie/West Fife
Knockhouse 1828 SGF
Knockhouse 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G cnoc + ? G – as
‘Place of the hill(ock) or knowe’. What is probably the G locational suffix –as ‘place of’ or ‘place at’ has been re-interpreted as Sc house, first seen in the mid-seventeenth century.
The settlement of Crossford was on the lands of Knockhouse (see for example 1606 Pitfirrane Writs no. 437).
The name appears in OS Pathf. Knockhouse Farm, but this is at NT068876, somewhat to the north of the original Knockhouse whose NGR is given above. The hill which gave its name to the farm, and lies beside the original site, is called Knockhouse Hill on OS 6 inch 1st edn. and is part of Crossford, where Knockhouse Gardens now stands (NT069868).
The present Knockhouse Farm, shown on OS Pathf., was formerly called Berrylaw, for details of which see under Berry Law DFL above.
/nɔk həus/, locally /nɔk hus/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1