Hole # DFL S NT088859 1 45m
Hoillcriste 1531 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 43 [tenenttis of Pitcorthy, Est Bernys, Wyndmylhill and Hoillcriste]
Valterus Criste pro Hoill Criste 1536 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 128 [absent from regality court]
terris de Hoyle 1555 x 1583 Dunf. Reg. p. 469 [Patrick Christie and Jonet Torrentine feus from Dunfermline Abbey the lands of Hoyle alias Legattisbrig]
the Hole 1646 Henderson 1865 [Thomas Christie in the Hole]
Holl 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Little Hole 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Hole 1771 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. Map II [lands of Hole belonging to Mr Christie]
Micklehole 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Holehouse 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
‘Hollow’; this referred to the low-lying land at Liggar’s Bridge (which see, an alternative name for this estate), below Windmill Hill. The Christies, who supply the affix of this name in its earliest forms, held the land here from at least the early sixteenth century. OS Name Book described it thus ‘a hind’s house in the farm of Gallowridgehill. At one time it was more extensive and had a small lairdship attached. It is situated in a hollow, which may have given rise to its name’ (1853 × 1856, 130, 14). The NGR is for Holehouse on OS (1856) map.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1