Long Haugh ABO F NT1985 1 394 5m
the Long haugh c.1750 RHP1022
Tiend barns Park c.1770 RHP1023
Sc lang + Sc haugh
‘Long haugh or low-lying land beside water’, applied to the large, gently sloping field between Hawkcraig Road and the Silver Sands, now a recreational park. It is interesting that the later name applied to this ground, following the enclosure and emparking by the earl of Morton, Teind barns Park, does not seem to have taken root in the local place-nomenclature, with the pre-enclosure Long Haugh making it onto the OS 6 inch 1st edn. However, the name Teind Barn has survived, applied to the ruin consisting of one wall about half way along Hawkcraig Road, between number 19 and 15, and itself given a number (17).
The name indicates that this is where the local teind or tenth was collected and stored, a process which will have been carried out by, and for the benefit of, the canons of Inchcolm Abbey, since they held the parish church.
On RHP1023 (c.1770) the ‘barn’ is shown as four buildings forming a square courtyard, called simply Barn yard, and in the north-west corner of Teind barns Park. On the earlier plan (RHP1022 c.1750), the same extensive building is shown, but not named. This latter plan also names the road between this building and the south end of what is now Hawkcraig Road ‘the Fishergates’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1