Craigluscar DFL S NT066907 1 384 160m SOF
Craigluscer 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 426 [rental £8 15s. 4d.; in the same list are Luscureweit (£7 8s.) and Wester Luscer £8 2s.)]
Cragluscour 1563 RMS iv no. 1476 [part of Dunfermline Abbey lands; set in feu for £12 5s. 5¼d. and 18 fowl; in same long list Wester Luscoure also mentioned (£9 16s. 3d. and 18 fowl)]
Craiglusker 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5 [also shows Craig Lusker house]
Craigluscar 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Sc craig + en Luscar
The crag in question is on the steep south side of Craigluscar Hill, part of which is called Castle Craigs, so called from the Iron Age hill fort on the summit (all OS Pathf. names). It is probable that Craigluscar originally formed part of the lands of Easter Luscar or Luscar-Wingate, although it is clear that they were regarded as separate holdings by 1561 (Dunf. Reg. p. 426). From the early sixteenth century Craigluscar was closely associated with the powerful family of Durie, who supplied the last abbot and first commendator of Dunfermline Abbey, and it may even have been carved out of Luscar-Eviot for that family. For a discussion of the name and lands of Luscar, see Luscar CNK. The Luscor hill on Blaeu (Pont) West Fife (1654) probably refers to Craigluscar Hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1