Blacklaw DFL S NT107867 2
Blaklaw 1451 RMS ii no. 429 [Royal confirmation of lands of Dunfermline Abbey; same as Dunf. Reg. no. 434; one of the lands given to the church of Dunfermline by Malcolm III and Margaret]
Blaklaw 1451 Dunf. Reg. no. 434 [Same as RMS ii no. 429, which see for notes]
terris de Blaklaw 1555 x 1583 Dunf. Reg. p. 468 [feued to George Fleming and Isabel Broun]
Blaklaw 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 436
Blaklaw 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 438
Blaklaw 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Blacklaw 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Blacklaw 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Black Law 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Blacklaw 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Blackhill 1828 SGF
Sc black + Sc law
‘Black hill’. It lies immediately west of Whitelaw, which, since it appears in the record much later than Blacklaw, was probably coined to contrast with Blacklaw. Note that both Blacklaw and Whitelaw have been Englished as Blackhill and Whitehill respectively on the SGF map of 1828.
Blacklaw now refers to a south-eastern suburb of Dunfermline which dates mainly from the early 1950s.
For the identification of the lands of Blacklaw with the lands of *Pitnaurcha, granted to the church of Dunfermline by Malcolm III and Margaret in the late eleventh century, see under *Pitnaurcha.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1