Ardlather # DFL S NT1284 3
Ardlather 1230 x 1239 Dunf. Reg. no. 198 [rubric]
terram de Ardlathir 1230 x 1239 Dunf. Reg. no. 198
Ardlather 1244 Dunf. Reg. no. 201 [Ardlather which is now called Milnetun]
G àrd or G àirde + G ladhar
? ‘High hoof or fork’, or ‘height (?irde) of (the) hoof or fork’. The hoof or fork most likely refers to a topographic feature which may consist of some kind of cleft.
By the mid-thirteenth century Ardlather had become known by the Sc name Milnetun (milltoun), which itself has become obsolete (Dunf. Reg. no. 201).
In the 1230s the marches of Ardlather, which was adjacent to Mastertown DFL, are described as follows: ‘from Redeforde (‘red or reed ford’) along Crocketlecche (‘crooked latch or small burn’) as far as the small marsh, and so by the valley as far as the marches of Mastertown’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1