Kirkford DGY V NT158846 2 40m
Kirkford 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Sc kirk + Sc ford
This refers to a ford by which the old road from Fordell to the medieval parish kirk of Dalgety (St Bridget’s Kirk on the coast) crossed the Keithing Burn. This road would have remained a church road (Sc kirkgate) after the opening of the new parish kirk of Dalgety in 1830 at NT166845. The name survives in Kirkford Plantation, shown on OS Pathf. The name does not occur on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1