Craiganet DGY R NT155865 1 394 90m NOF
Craiganet 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G creag + ? G annaid
‘The crag or rock of the mother church’. This does not necessarily mean that there was an old church here. It is more likely to refer to possession by an old church, or to the fact that the feature named marks the boundary of land belonging to an old church of high status (see Clancy 1995). The old church in this case is probably Dalgety (St Bridget’s), or even Inchcolm.
The name probably originally applied to the ridge, half planted with trees, between the two burns which meet below its western end to become the Craiganet Burn. In the OS Name Book Craiganet is described as ‘A plantation of mixed wood’. Besides Craiganet, OS Pathf. also shows Craiganet Burn.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1