Donibristle (village) ABO S NT167888 1 394 125m SWF
Donibristle 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
The name of Donibristle was brought here in the early nineteenth century. It was the name of the earl of Moray’s chief Fife residence, Donibristle DGY, and the mining community here was built on the earl’s lands. The OS Name Book (dated 1851) states: ‘Donibristle – a small village on Estate of the Earl of Moray occupied by colliers; until of late date it was known as Dirthill but the house being removed which gave rise to that name it is now known as Donibristle’. Dirthill appears as such on Ainslie/Fife (1775), but on a plan of the Moray estate of the Lordship of St Colme from 1836 it appears in the more sanitised form of Darthill (RHP14341). It is called Donibristle in the 1851 Census, and had about 250 inhabitants, consisting chiefly of miners and their families.
The name appears now on road-signs as Donibristle Village, to distinguish it from the original Donibristle DGY by the coast, part of Dalgety Bay new town.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1