Romante Well SLO W NO158082 1 372 115m
Romanty Well 1829 Miller 1857, 44 [a paper read 1829, published 1857]
Romantie Well 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? + Sc wall or SSE well
OS Name Book 26, 19: ‘A small spring well on the north side of Carmore Burn, the tradition of the neighbourhood is that the Romans either made it or used it during the campaign of the Legions commanded by Agricola’. Miller’s essay on the site of the battle of Mons Graupius states that here ‘there is a spring of water called Romanty Well where the wearied legions may have slaked their thirst’ (1857, 44), a fantastical observation which is cited by the OS Name Book (loc. cit). However fantastical, it may nevertheless have inspired the name.
The well is shown in 1856 feeding into a mill dam 100 m to the south, right on the southern march of Bannaty (and of the parish). This dam feeds a mill lead running along the parish boundary and entering the River Eden (formerly Miglo) at Burnside.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4