Pitcrothy * S
Petcrothy 1315 x 1353 NAS GD 20/1/779 [o.c.;  printed Hist. MSS. Comm. viii, 305, where it is dated c.1345]
G pett + ? G coirthe
‘Standing-stone(s) farm’. If the original does contain the now obsolete G coirthe ‘standing stone’, then it has undergone metathesis, a common enough phenomenon in Scots. As to the referent, there was no shortage of standing stones in the western part of SLO, as early OS maps and writings on the area testify (see e.g. Wilkie 1938, 18). See also Pitlochie SLO below.
However, it may be a ghost-name. It occurs only once, when Earl Duncan (IV) of Fife grants in feu Corston SLO and Petcrothy to Maurice del Spens. The charter is endorsed in a fifteenth- or sixteenth-century hand Petcrwuy, which suggests Pitcruvie LAR (PNF 2). Furthermore, Corston and Pitcruvie LAR are paired in 1455, when Janet Ramsay has sasine of them both (ER ix, 664). In 1497 this same Janet Ramsay is described as the lady of Pitcruvie (Petcruvy) and widow of David lord Lindsay of the Byres (RMS ii no. 2342); while in 1529 John lord Lindsay of the Byres and his heirs were granted the superiority of the lands of Corston (Corstoun) (RMS iii no. 800).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4