Dalachy ABO S NT205861 1 395 120m SEF
Dauchy 1377 Morton Reg. i p. lxiv [rented to John Sithowsone and Sithow Cant; see ABO Introduction for more details]
Deachy 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 219
Dachy 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220
Duchie 1601 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 223
Dachy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Dachy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Dalchie 1656 RMS xi no. 506 col. 1
Dachie c.1750 RHP1022
Doche 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Dechie c.1785 RHP1023
Dalachy 1837 Aberdour Map/1837
G dabhach + ? G – in or pl. ending
‘Davoch-place, place the size of a davoch’; or possibly pl. dabhcha ‘davochs’. Dalachy was a large and important estate closely associated with the demesne land of Aberdour. In the Census of 1851 Dalachy (including Torryhills, for which see Torry Hill ABO below) is reckoned at 675 acres, employing about 30 labourers. This would suggest it consisted of two davochs (reckoned as consisting of approximately 200 acres + grazing land).
The modern form Dalachy results from an analogical back-formation or hypercorrection based on words like halch/hauch, salt/saut. Its development can be clearly traced in the 1656 form Dalchie (RMS xi no. 506). In the OS Name Books of the mid-nineteenth century all six informants gave the form Dalachy.
In 1273 Simon of Balram (Balran) ABO renounced in exchange for 40 silver marks all claim to the land of Leys which had been in dispute between himself and Inchcolm Abbey, and which his father, John of Balram, and his grandfather (Nicholas of Balram?) had sold to Inchcolm (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 29). These lands also appear (as Leys) in the list of lands in Inchcolm’s barony of Kirkbeath in 1441 (ibid. no. 51). The editors confidently identify Leys as ‘Broadleys on Dalachy farm’ (ibid. pp. 147, 181), but give no source for this identification, while the excellent local historian William Ross is silent on the matter (Ross 1885, 38–9). However, the earl of Morton’s Aberdour estate plan of c.1750 (RHP1022) shows The Broomleys on the lands of Balram, where OS Pathf. Cairnie Bank is today, between Balram and Montquey, which may be part of the lands of Leys. Leys is a pl. of Sc lea ‘tilled ground now pasture, open grassland’.
/ˈdaləxɪ/, locally /ˈdɛxɪ/ or /ˈdexɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1