Friarsmill SLO S NO207216 1 70m
Frermyl 1506 Dunk. Rent. 194 [teind barley to Dunkeld Cathedral]
Friarmyll 1506 Dunk. Rent. 195 [teind meal to Dunkeld Cathedral]
Freirmyll c.1560 s Assumption, 69
Freirmylne 1596 Campbell 1899, 621
Freermill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
the lands of Frier millne 1654 Retours (Fife) ii no. 1591
Freirmilne 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1040 [lands of Pitgorno and Friarsmill]
Brier Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Friar Mill 1828 SGF
Friarsmill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc friar + Sc miln
‘Friars’ mill’, the eponymous friars being the Cistercian monks of Balmerino, who were given the lands of Pitgorno and Drumdreel in the 1240s (see SLO Intro., Earls and Monks). This is presumably the monks’ mill of Pitgorno mentioned in 1331 (Balm. Lib. no. 52, for which see Pitgorno SLO).
Although there is scarcely a trace of the mill on the south bank of the Barroway Burn, just a few scattered stones and some rusty scraps of iron, the right of way which goes from Strathmiglo past the site of the mill towards Pitlour is still known locally as the Friarsmill (Freersmill). Two fields on West Mill Farm, formerly known as The Friar’s Mill Big Bit and The Friar’s Mill Wee Bit, have now been joined together to form one field, Kincraigie Field, centred at NO206103.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4