Chapel Den

Chapel Den SLO R NO184092 1

    Den 1574 x 1603 Campbell 1899, 618 [chapel of St Mary; see Gateside SLO]
    Chapelden 1630 RMS viii no. 1673 [Andrew Murray of Balvaird]
    Chapelden 1632 RMS viii no. 2023 [Murray, teinds of; see Gateside SLO]   
    pecia terre capellanie Sancte Marie de D<e>n 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1040 [see Gateside SLO]
    Chapel Den 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Chapel Well and ‘Site of Chapel’]

Sc chapel + Sc den

The den, through which the Morton Burn flows, took its name from the nearby chapel of St Mary, which belonged to Balmerino Abbey. This chapel was located at NO1854 0926 (NMRS NO10NE 8). This chapel also gave its name to Chapel Well, shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn near the eastern edge of Chapel Den. This well is described by OS Name Book (26, 37) as follows: ‘A small spring well on the North side of the Mill Dam, supposed to have been used in the days of popery as holy water and for other purposes when the building supposed to have been St Mary’s chapel was in existence.’

    See also Gateside SLO.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4