Balcanquhal SLO S NO162100 1 361 165m NEF
Balmaccancoll’ 1294 PRO E101/331/ [printed Balmaccancolle Stevenson, Documents i, 416; held in feu from the earl of Fife, yields 106 s. 8 d. annually; see SLO Intro. and PNF 5, App 2]
Duncano de Balnecancole 1315 x 1332 Skene of Pitlour Muniments (Cupar) [w.; see SLO Intro., Earls and Monks]
(John of) Balnecancole 1359 x 1372 Skene of Pitlour Muniments (Cupar) [o.c.; inspeximus of preceding; see SLO Intro. Earls and Monks]
(John of) Balmacankow 1395 St A. Lib. 3 [at a perambulation of Kirkness]
Bawcanquell 1494 RMS ii no. 2226 [to John Balcanquhal (Bawcanquell) the lands of Balcanquhal, Carmore SLO and Corrinzion SLO and their mill]
Newtoune de Balcancoll 1451 ER v, 467 [earldom of Fife; see discussion]
Balcancoll 1506 Dunk. Rent. 195 [teind meal to Dunkeld]
Ballincankoll 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 60 [or possibly Ballmcankoll?]
Balcancol 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 62
(lands of) Balcancoll 1527 RMS iii no. 454 [to Alexander Balcanquhal (Balcancoll) of that ilk and Isobell Cunningham, spouse, lands of B. with tower and mill, lands of Carmore SLO and lands of Corrinzion SLO and their mill]
Belcanquell c.1560 s Assumption, 69
Bacanquell c.1560 s Purves 151 [£3]
Balcanquell 1590 RPC iv, 785
Ballincanquell 1624 Retours (Fife) no. 342 [Walter Balcanquhal (Ballincanquell) of that ilk, lands of Balcanquhal, Carmore and Corrinzion]
Balcan<q>uel 1642 Gordon MS Fife [q illegible; suspension mark over u]
N Balcanquell 1642 Gordon MS Fife [see discussion below]
Balincoud 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Balcanquell 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
N. Balcanq. 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [see discussion below]
Balconqual 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Balcanquhal 1828 SGF
Balcanquhal 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Balcanquhal Plantation]
G baile + G mac + pn Anacol
‘Farm of the sons of Anacol’ (baile mac Anacoil); one Anacol or Anecol was thane of Dunning PER for Earl Gilbert of Strathearn around 1200 (see Inchaff. Chrs. p. lxxx, nos. 4, 9, 11, 14; also Lind. Cart. no. 43). Dunning lies about 14 km to the west of Balcanquhal, also in the Ochils. We know that this Anacol had a son called Gillemor (Lind. Cart. no. 43 1211 × 1214), and it is likely that another son was Malise son of Anacol (Malisio filio Anecole), who witnesses a charter to Inchaffray Abbey in 1258 (Inchaff. Chrs. no. 88). It is probable, though not provable, that this Anacol was the eponym of Balcanquhal. If so, the name cannot have been coined before the early thirteenth century, providing us with one of the rare examples of a roughly datable baile-name, and indicating the strength of Gaelic in this part of Fife at this time.
Blaeu (Gordon) Fife’s N. Balcanq. probably stands for *Newtoun Balcanquell, which is now Newton of Balcanquhal AGK PER, FIF (NO15 10) i.e. that part of AGK which was transferred from FIF to PER in 1891 (Shennan 1892, 199). John Rogers (1992, 270, 271) considers that despite the name it was a division of Fargie AGK, which would explain why it lay in a different parish from Balcanquhal. However, the name must have been given when it was regarded as a division of Balcanquhal. In 1295 Henry de Freslay’s tenants of Newtoun were thirled to the mill of Arngask (Camb. Reg. no. 5), and this may be the earliest reference to the lands which later became known as Newton of Balcanquhal. The first full reference to the name is Newtoune de Balcancoll 1451 ER v, 467, in the earldom of Fife. Later forms include: Newtoun de Balcancoll 1531 RMS iii no. 1090, described as being in the lordship and sheriffdom of Fife; N Balcanquell 1642 Gordon MS Fife; Newtown 1828 SGF, shown in AGK FIF.
Thomas of Balcanquhal (de Balcancole) was a burgess of Kirkcaldy in 1440 (Dunf Reg. no. 424), while a George Balcanquhal (Balcanquel) is mentioned c.1560 in connection with the West Mill of Kirkcaldy (lie Westmiln de Kirkcaldy) (Dunf. Reg. p. 468). It was after a member of this family that the Balcanquel Burn was named, a now underground burn in Kirkcaldy KDT.
/balˈkaŋkəl/ or /bəlˈkaŋkəl/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4