Kilface #~ MML V NO3216 3
foresta de Culface 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 3 [see discussion]
landis callit the forest of Kilface 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 5 [a perambulation charter is shown anent the division of the lands of Lindifferon belonging to Andrew Seton of Parbroath (Perbroth) CRC and the lands called the Forest of Kilface, belonging to the laird of Fernie (Farny) MML]
Forest de Gilface 1517 RMS iii no. 177 [see Newton FGN, above, for problem]
forestam de Kilface 1528 RMS iii no. 549 [to Andrew Fernie of that ilk, lands of Wester Fernie and forest of Kilface, and office of forester of Falkland and constabulary of Cupar, with lands of Nuthill beside Falkland, and meadow called Constable Meadow (q.v.) beside burgh of Cupar]
terras et forestam de Kilface 1540 RMS iii no. 2245 [Andrew Fernie (Farny) of that ilk, and Barbara Logan his wife; as 1528]
terras et forestam de Kilface 1580 x 1590 RMS v no. 1788 [‘the lands and forest of Kilface’ described as lying ‘on north side of the hills of Fernies’ (ex boreali latere montium de Fairnyis); see Fernie MML]
terris et forrestro de Kilsace (vel Kilface) 1664 Retours (Fife) no. 968 [James Arnot of Fernie, ‘the lands and forestry of Kilface’]
terris et Forresta de Kilface 1678 Retours (Fife) no. 1165 [James Arnot of Fernie, ‘the lands and forest of Kilface’]
lands and forest of Hillface 1813 Sasines no. 9927 [probably an error for Killface; associated with lands and barony of Wester Fernie MML]
? G coille + ? G fàs
‘Empty or waste wood’? In 1515 William Fernie of that ilk, father of Andrew Fernie, died seised of the lands of Wester Fernie MML with pertinents, and of the forest of Kilface with pertinents, as well as ‘of the offices of constableship of the burgh of Cupar and of forester of the wood of Falkland’ (de officiis constabularie burgi de Cupro et forestarie nemoris <de> Falk<l>and), and of all the lands of Nuthill FAL (Fife Ct. Bk. 3). In 1528 the king confirms to Andrew Fernie of that ilk and his heirs these same lands and offices, adding ‘the meadow called the Constable Meadow beside the burgh of Cupar’ (cum prato le Constablemedow prope burgum de Coupare), all of which the king incorporates into the free barony of Wester Fernie and Kilface (RMS iii no. 549).
According to RMS v no. 1788 (see early forms 1580 × 1590), the lands and forest of Kilface lie ‘on the north side of the hills of Fernie’, which probably include OS Pathf. Fernie Hill and Lindifferon Hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4