Cunnoquhie MML S NO312151 1 362 80m SEF
Cunyochy 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Cunzoquhy 1538 St A. Rent. 7 [in parish of Monimail (Monymeill)]
(render from the lands of) Cunnioquhie 1587 RMS v no. 1279 [granted by Archbishop Patrick to James Meldrum of Seggie (Seagie) LEU, in respect of his office of constable of the castle of St Andrews]
Cunyeochie 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [in lordship of Monimail]
Keanuchy 1642 Gordon MS Fife [also shows Keanuchy Hill to the north]
Keamichy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [for Keanuchy]
Cunniquhie 1688 Retours (Fife) no. 1298 [GeorgeMacAulay (Mackallay)]
Cunnoghie 1691 Retours (Fife) no. 1310
the village of Cunoquhie 1723 Geog. Coll. i, 304 [‘where two public roads meet, the one from Southferry to the waterside of Dundie, the other from Coupar to Perth’]
Cunochy 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Patterson Esq.’]
Cunochy Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown twice, once north of Cunochy, = OS Pathf. Cunnoquhie Mill; once east of Cunochy, possibly = OS Pathf. Fernie Mill]
Cunnoquhy 1789 Sasines no. 2342 [Cunnoquhie along with ‘Chapel lands of St Leonards called Chapel lands of Cunnoquhy’; see discussion, below]
Chapel lands of Cunnoquhy 1789 Sasines no. 2342 [see preceding]
Connoquhie 1828 SGF
Connoquhie Hall 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Cantyhall]
Connoquhie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Connoquhie Wood 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G cuinge + ? – ach + ? – in
‘Place of the narrow pass’. This probably contains G cuinge ‘narrow pass or strait; defile’ (see Dwelly under cuinge and Watson 1926, 486–7) + an adjectival and, probably, a locational suffix. The lands of Cunnoquhie lie at the southern end of an important pass through the Ochils. They belonged to the Church of St Andrews, and this probably explains the late reference to ‘Chapel lands of St Leonards called Chapel lands of Cunnoquhy’ in 1789 (Sasines no. 2342), in which the eponymous St Leonards is most likely the parish kirk of St Leonards, or the hospital, later the University college, of that name, both in St Andrews.
The lands of Cunnoquhie included Cantyhall MML.
OS Pathf. shows Cunnoquhie Mill, Cunnoqhuie East Hill Wood and Cunnoquhie West Hill Wood.
/ˈkɪnɔxɪ/ or /ˈkɪnəxɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4