Lucklaw Hill

Lucklaw Hill LOG R NO4121 1 352 190m

    cum monte de Luklawhill 1529 RMS iii no. 797
    Luklawhill 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [Leuchars-Ramsay; see p. 487, above]
    Lucklawhill 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Lucklawhill 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    cum monte Luklawhill 1602 Retours (Fife) no. 125 [see Lucklaw LEU]
    Lucklalaw 1637 RMS ix no. 704 [David earl of Southesk, a third of Pusk with commonty of Lucklawhill]
    Lucklau Hills 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Lucklaw-hill 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [James earl of Southesk, ‘the lands of Cruvie (Cruivie LOG) ... with commontie of Lucklaw-hill and Liliesmure’, in the barony of Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Lucklawhill 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1027 [John Melville, son of Andrew Melville portionar of Airdit LEU, a 16th part of Airdit with common pasture on the muir called Lillies Muir and Lucklawhill and common pasture on the muir of Seggie LEU, with access across the lands of Moonzie Mill LEU]
    Lucklawhill 1672 Retours (Fife) no. 1115 [William Keir, lands of Easter and Wester Forret and Cotton of Forret (Eister et Westir Forretis cum Coat-toun de Forrett) LOG, and pasture on Lucklaw Hill]
    Louklawhill 1688 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [Charles earl of Southesk, in the barony of Leuchars-Ramsay, a third of lands of Pusk (Pursk) LEU and commonty on Lucklaw Hill; also the lands of Cruivie (Cruvie) LOG with fishings etc. and commonty of Louklawhill and Lilliesmure]
    Louklawhill 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [James earl of Southesk, the lands of Cruivie LOG with fortalice, mains lands and fishings on the water of Motray, on the north side of Browndod, with commonty of Lucklaw Hill and Lilliesmures]
    Lucklawhill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown crossing LOG/LEU border]
    Lucklaw-hill 1790s OSA, 612-3 [‘from the top ... there is a most extensive and delightful prospect’]
    Luckla Hill 1790s OSA, 616 [‘a considerable mountain in the parish (of LOG) ... upon which, it is reported, that the kings of Scotland used to hunt, and on which account it is called the King’s Park, but of this circumstance there is no authentic record extant’]
    Lucklaw hill 1845 NSA ix, 219

en Lucklaw + Sc hill

See discussion under Lucklaw LEU and Lucklawhill LEU. While much of this hill now lies in LOG, it once served as common grazing for several surrounding settlements in both LOG and LEU (for examples, see under early forms above).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4