Vicarsford LEU S NO453249 1 352 10m EAF
Cowbakie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Vicarsford]
Vicarford 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [at NO437256]
Vicarsford 1921 x 1930 OS 1 inch ‘Popular’ edn
Sc or SSE vicar + Sc or SSE ford
‘Vicar’s or vicars’ ford’. Since vicar is a very rare term in any of the post-Reformation Churches in Scotland, it is likely that this name goes back to the medieval period. The proximity of the original site to the old parish kirk of Forgan makes this even more likely.
OS Pathf. Vicarsford, at the NGR given above, is shown as Cowbakie on the 1855 map (see Cowbakie LEU, above, for more details of this old name). That map, however, shows Vicarford as a small settlement about 2 km north-west of OS Pathf. Vicarsford, at NO437256. The cemetery beside this north-western site is still called Vicarsford Cemetery (OS 1:10,000 digital version, 2007), centred at NO438257. A burn runs along the northern edge of this cemetery eastwards to pass Forgan old kirk, and it was presumably this burn that the original vicar’s or vicars’ ford crossed. The bog immediately south-west of Vicarsford Cemetery is known locally as Vickery Bog, and has given its name to the adjacent field (the Vickery Bog) on Vicarsford Farm (JMH).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4