Pitcullo LEU S NO413192 1 363 75m EAF

    Petculan 1207 St A. Lib. 86 [1 of vills owing teinds of wheat to Leuchars kirk]
    Pettulan 1240 St A. Lib. 164 [for Petculan; 1 of vills owing garbal teinds to Leuchars kirk]
    Petculo 1486 RMS ii no. 1642 [Balfours]
    Petcullo 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 94
    (David Balfour of) Petcullo 1531 RMS iii no. 1009
    Petcullo c.1560 s Assumption, 13
    Pitcullocht c.1560 s Assumption, 20
    (lands of) Petcullo 1588 RMS vi no. 1609 [Balfours; ‘with the tower, place and manor’ (cum turre, loco manerieque)]
    Pitcullow 1623 Retours Fife no. 332 [to Patrick Balfour, a third of Pitcullo]
    Pittcollo 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    Pitculla 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Pitcullo 1790s OSA 601 [‘belonging to Neil Ferguson Esq.’]
    Pitculla 1828 SGF
    Pitcullo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also ‘Pitcullo (Ruins of)’ at site of castle]

G pett + ?

The reduction of –an to –o is very unusual, and is paralleled only by Balmulan to Balmullo LEU, which appears in the same two charters as Petculan. This is suspicious, and perhaps –an should be read –au, a more regular development from G –ach, although it would be surprising to find it so reduced as early as the early thirteenth century. If the final n is not a radical or integral part of the name, then the specific element might well be cùil ‘corner, neuk’ or cùl ‘back’, with the adjectival or locational suffix –ach. Much depends on the identification of Petcollin in a charter whereby John de Montfort (Johannis de Monte Forte) gives 12 d. from the ferme of Petcollin to God and ‘to the work of St Andrew’ (operi Sancti Andree) (presumably referring to the building of the new church) (St A. Lib. 277–8).[294] In the light of the Kincardineshire connections of the de Montforts, it is much more likely that Petcollin represents Pitcow NO700710 near Laurencekirk, but in Marykirk parish.[295]

    OS Pathf. shows Pitcullo Castle beside Pitcullo, and Pitcullo Farm c.100 m to the south. NMRS reports that it is the remains of a late sixteenth-century house, three storeys high, with later additions (NO41NW 1).


This place-name appeared in printed volume 4