Old Muirs # LEU S NO490251 1 5m
Aldmuris 1477 RMS ii no. 1302 [Brigend, Aldmuris, Nethirmuris]
le Aldmuris 1477 RMS ii no. 1304 [to Elizabeth Wemyss; see p. 486, above]
Auldmuris 1536 RMS iii no. 1635 [see Kinshaldy LEU]
(third of) Aldmures 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [Leuchars-Ramsay; see pp. 486–7]
Auldmore c.1560 s Assumption, 14
(a third of) Auldmures 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
Auldmures 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 218 [Leuchars-Forbes]
Auldmuires 1637 RMS ix no. 704 [David earl of Southesk, a third of Old Muirs, barony of Leuchars-Ramsay]
Auldmuires 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1273 [Robert Forbes of Rires, in the lands of Old Muirs and Nether Muirs (Neathermuires) LEU]
(a third of lands of) Auldmures 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440
Oldmoor 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Old Moors 1785 RHP1684
Old Moors 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [with a roofed building and a well close by]
Old Muirs 1894 OS 1 inch 2nd edn
Sc auld + Sc muir
‘Old rough pasture’, perhaps referring to an early stage in the bringing of the sandy rough grazing land under cultivation.
The earlier settlement was ‘converted to a single farm steading of the same name in the early 19th century’ (NMRS NO42NE 115), which was demolished in the 20th century by the Forestry Commission to supply foundations for their roads. The spot lies on the west side of Old Moors road, where there is a small clearing planted with a stand of oak trees. This steading had not been built when the 1785 estate plan was drawn (RHP1684). However, this shows a large cluster of buildings about 0.5 kilometres to the west, at NO485255, which is remembered as a place of ruined cottages and a sheep-dip facility (now demolished) (JMH).
Note also the tofts of Muris 1473 RMS ii no. 1139.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4