Blair CUS S NS969857 2 15m

Blair 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Blair 1574 x 1586 RMS v no. 1109
Blaer 1600 RMS vi no. 1078
Blair 1603 RMS vi no. 1486 [to Hamilton of Blair ... the lands of Blair with fortalice etc., the lands of Patispollis (? *Pattis-Poffills CUS), the Easter Cult (lie Eister Quiltis) called the Wedderhill (vocat. the Wedderhill) SLN]
Blair 1638 RMS ix no. 854 [to James Arnott of Fernie MML, lands of Blair, lands of Pottispollis, (? *Pattis-Poffills CUS) with the lands of Easter Cult called the Wedderhill (Eister Quilties vocat. lie Wedderhill) SLN]
Blair 1643 RMS ix no. 1428
Blair 1730 Cooper (Adair)
Blair 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Blair 1783 Stobie
Blair 1821 Ainslie/S. Scotland

G blàr

‘Field, muir’. The name exists on OS Pathf. as Blair Mains (which appears on Stobie 1783 as Boghead) and Blair Castle, a grand early nineteenth-century three-storey house, now the Fife and Lanarkshire Mineworkers Convalescent Home. OS 6 inch 1st edn. marks ‘Site of Blair Castle’ (Antiquity), between the big house and the sea, and this supplies the above NGR. This earlier structure is shown on Stobie as an imposing twin-towered building. According to OSA (Perth) 104, it was supposed to have been built ‘about the time of the Reformation’ by Archbishop Hamilton of St Andrews. The name Blair has also given rise to Blairburn CUS, and possibly even Blairhall CUS. If this latter is correct, then the territory of Blair must have almost encircled the burgh of Culross.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1