Formont # LEU S NO481233 1 5m
(third of) Formund 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [Leuchars-Ramsay; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies]
(third of) Formond 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
(a half and a third of) Formond 1579 RMS iv no. 2950
the thrid pairt of the lands of Formond 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [earl of Southesk; ‘with salmond fishing on the watter of Eden and ferrie boat deuties’]
( 3 rd of lands of) <F>ormond 1688 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [printed Tormond; earl of Southesk; with associated fishing and boating rights; Leuchars-Ramsay]
(third of the lands of) Formond 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [earl of Southesk; with associated fishing and boating rights, including fishing with boats called the cobles (lie cobles); Leuchars-Ramsay]
Formount 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Formont 1785 RHP1684 [lands of Robert Lindsay esquire; also shows ‘Formont Water two miles long’, running parallel to and east of Canal Loch]
G for + G monadh
‘(Place) on or above a hill or muir’, the muir or rough grazing here probably referring to the whole area later known as Tentsmuir. For more discussion, and other possible explanations, see PNF 2, *Formont LSL, and PNF 5, Elements Glossary, under for .
On RHP1684 (1785) it is shown as a farm of 166 acres lying south of the Kinshaldy road, between Canal Loch and Formont Water, two of the several canal-like bodies of water in this part of the parish (see pp. 483–4, above).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4