Earlshall LEU S NO465211 1 352 15m

    manerium Comitisse de Boucchan 1279 x 1289 St A. Lib. 398 [see discussion]
    Erlishall 1497 RMS ii no. 2346 [Bruce of Birgham; see Pusk LEU]
    Williame Bruce of Erlishall 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 32
    apud Erlishall 1534 RMS iii no. 2086
    Willelmo Bruse de Erlishall 1539 RMS iii no. 2006 [wife, Margaret Meldrum]
    apud Erlishall 1540 RMS iii no. 2086 [charter of James V dated at Earlshall, confirming sale of various lands to William Bruce of Earlshall]
    Erlishall 1566 x 1577 RMS iv no. 2691
    lie Erlishallis Kawill 1566 x 1577 RMS iv no. 2691 [LEU Intro., Minor Names]
    (Ale ander Bruce of) Erlishall 1589 RMS v no. 1646 [see p. 489, above]
    liberam baroniam de Erlishall 1589 RMS v no. 1646 [see pp. 488–9, above]
    (Bruce of) Erlishall 1622 RMS viii no. 370
    are<a> de Erlishall 1622 RMS viii no. 370 [see Broad-land # LEU]
    horreo de Erlishall 1622 RMS viii no. 370 col. 2 [‘barn’; see Rash Myre #]
    (Andrew Bruce of) Earlishall 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 648
    Farleshall 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Earles hall 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    baroniam de Earleshall 1674 Retours (Fife) no. 1137 [barony of Kinnear (Kinneyr) ‘afterwards called’ (postea nuncupatam) the barony of Earlshall]
    Earls Hall 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Sir Robt. Henderson Bart.’]
    Earlshall 1785 RHP1684 [‘belonging to Sir John Henderson Baronet’; naming the lands. The house is also shown as Earls Hall]
    the estate of Earl’s Hall 1790s OSA 601 [Robert Bruce Henderson]
    Earlshall 1828 SGF
    Earlshall 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc earl + Sc hall

The name probably existed in the thirteenth century, and underlies the Latin description which translates ‘the manor of the countess of Buchan’ (1279 × 1289 St A. Lib. 398). The countess of Buchan at this time was Elizabeth,[279] daughter and co-heiress of Roger de Quincy, earl of Winchester and lord of Leuchars (died 1264). Elizabeth married Alexander Comyn earl of Buchan, who died in 1289. This manor may have been known as Earlshall in the time of her father, changing its name to *Countesshall when she succeeded him, or when she became countess of Buchan. There is a similar variation in specific in Lordscairnie MNZ (see below), known for a time as Countess Cairnie.

    According to RCAHMS, ‘The erection of the mansion (i.e. the present building) of Earlshall was begun in 1546. The south range was added in the 17th century. The house was ruinous about 1890, but has since been carefully and judiciously restored’ (NO42SE 3).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4