Craigsanquhar LEU S NO395192 1 362 120m SOF
Cragsumquhar 1380 x 1396 RMS ii no. 187 [see discussion]
Cragsumquhare 1512 RMS ii no. 3715 [Kitattie (Kittidy) and Craigsanquhar; part of barony of Kinnear KLM]
Cragsunquhar 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 252 [Kitattie (Kyttady) and Craigsanquhar; third part of Drummond of Kinnear lands]
Craigsunquhar 1543 Retours (Fife) no. 2 [John Kinnear, son of David Kinnear of that ilk, half of lands of Kitattie (Kittadie) and Craigsanquhar]
Craigsunquhare 1548 Retours (Fife) no. 8 [James Spence, son of Alexander Spens of Lathallan KCQ, half of lands of Kitattie and Craigsanquhar]
Craig-Sunquhair 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1527 [Arthur Spence, three quarters of lands of Lathallan, and half lands of Kitattie (Kittadie) and Craigsanquhar]
Craigsonquhair 1606 Retours (Fife) no. 166 [Alexander Spence, the lands of Lathallan and half the lands of Kitattie (Kittedy) and Craigsanquhar]
Craigsunquher 1622 Retours (Fife) no. 323 [David Kinnear of that ilk; half the lands of Kitattie, Craigsanquhar and Torr of Kedlock (Torcathlok) LOG]
Craigsanquhare 1622 RMS viii no. 370 [William Bruce, half the lands of Kitatie alias Craigsanquhar, with tower and manor place, in barony of Kinnear]
(half of lands of) Craigsunquhair 1625 RMS viii no. 819 [half of lands of ‘Kitattie alias Craigsanquhar’ (Kittitie alias Craigsunquhair)]
Craigsunquhair 1627 Retours (Fife) no. 391 [James Lindsay of Kilwhiss (Kilquhus) CLS, lands of Kitattie and Craigsanquhar]
Craigsumquhair 1643 RMS ix no. 1459
Kittadie alias Craigsunquhar 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 648 [also ‘Kitattie and Craigsanquhar’; see Kitattie LEU]
Craigsunkar 1674 Retours (Fife) no. 1137
Kittattie et Craig-Senchar 1690 Retours (Fife) no. 1309 [see Kitattie LEU]
Craigsanguhar 1828 SGF
Craigsanquhar 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G creag + en *Sanquhar
‘Rock or crag of Sanquhar’; Sanquhar derives from G *sean chair ‘old fort’ (rather than sean chathair, with the same meaning, as suggested by Watson 1926, 222, 368). There was a hill (mons) called Adkar nearby in LOG (St A. Lib. 294), which might represent G *ath-chair ‘new fort’, contrasting with Sanquhar ‘old fort’. Neither of the eponymous structures can be identified.
By a charter dated 1380 × 1396 Robert earl of Fife granted (in an exchange of land) to William Spence (de Spensa), burgess of Perth, and Isobel Campbell, his spouse, the lands of Lathallan (A<t>haland) KCQ, as well as the contiguous lands of Kitattie # LEU and Craigsanquhar. This included the right to hold a court to try those accused of theft in these lands, with power of life and limb; but if any thief was accused and convicted in that court, he was to be hanged ‘on the gallows of the earldom of Fife’ (ad furcas comitatus de Fyf suspenderetur) (confirmed 1431; RMS ii no. 187, col. 2), presumably in Cupar. Spence and Campbell were also given ‘permission and power to have a prison in the said lands, and of imprisoning malefactors as well as (the power) of searching for and finding (them), as is called in Gaelic rannsachadh’ (et cum licentia et potestate habendi prisonam in dictis terries et malefactors incarcerandi ac etiam scrutandi et inveniendi – prout dicitur Scotice ranscauth). For a brief discussion of this phrase, see Barrow 1981, 2.
OS Pathf. Craigsanquhar Farm is at NO398191.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4