Bath CUS S NS972910 1 383 55m SOF
Baith Westir 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Chapeltown of Both 1543 Culross Chrs. 77
terras de Westir Both 1543 x 1546 RMS iv no. 27 [amongst the abbey lands feued to Alexander Gaw of Maw]
West-Bocht 1560 x 1565 RMS iv no. 1632 col. 3 [‘the meadow commonly (called) Stewartsward between the lands of West Bath and the water called Bluther’ (pratum vulgo Stewartiswarde inter terras de West-Bocht et aquam nuncupat<am> Bloder)]
Wester Boith 1587 Culross Chrs. 80 no. 11 [feued to Alexander Gaw of Maw]
lands of Chapeltoun of Both 1587 Culross Chrs. 81 no. 28 [set in feu to David May, with pasturage to 1 bull, 12 soums, and 2 horses in Souterrig]
Bothe 1589 RMS v no. 1675 [Bothe et Bothebog]
Boith Estir et Westir 1592 RMS v no. 2152 [to Robert Bruce of Blairhall]
Westerboth 1606 Retours (Perth) no. 164
Both 1609 RMS vii no. 9 [Both et Bothboig]
Wasterboth 1643 Retours (Perth) no. 534
Eister Both 1648 Retours (Perth) no. 574 [Robert Maii, the vill and lands of Eister Both]
Beath 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Bath 1783 Stobie
Chapelbath 1783 Stobie
Wester Bathe or Wester Bothe 1826 Sasines no. 2291
? G both
? ‘Bothy, shieling or chapel’. For a discussion of both as an early word for chapel or church, see Taylor 1996. Nearby is Chapelbath (q.v., with its earlier forms), which may suggest an ecclesiastical interpretation of the element. Beveridge states that Bath was known as Chapel Bath or The Chapel (1885, ii, 380). However, Stobie’s map of 1783 clearly shows the two as distinct places. OS 6 inch map also shows Bath How and Bath Quarry. References to ‘Bath Castle’ in some sources refer to the fine, crowstepped and pantiled building at Bath with its rock foundation exposed on the east, which Gifford dates to the late seventeenth century (1988, 158). Another building in this same complex was a mill, whose lade is still visible, though the mill has been converted into a dwelling.
There has been in the past some confusion of Bath with Bads CUS q.v., but they are in fact quite distinct land-holdings lying almost 3 kms apart.
OS Pathf. also shows Bath Moor and Bath Hill. For *Bathbog see Bogside CUS.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1