Clayton LEU S NO429183 1 363 30m
Robert Meldrum Esq. of Clayton 1790s OSA, 601 [owns estate of Dron LEU]
house of Clayton 1790s OSA, 601
Clyton 1794 RHP30465 [probably in error for Clayton]
Clayton Ho<use> 1828 SGF
Clayton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc or SSE clay + Sc toun or SSE town
‘Farm where the soil is clayey’ This name may be compared with the cluster of contiguous fields on the estate of Leuchars called Clayland on RHP1684 (1785), viz Clayland of Balconie, Clayland of Craigie, Clayland of Fordel and Clayland of Rhind.
Part of the lands of Dron: the local minister writes in the 1790s that the estate of Dron belonged to Robert Meldrum of Clayton, and mentions the ‘house of Clayton’ (OSA 601). Clayton is called Dron Ho<use> on Ainslie/East Fife (1827).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4